Isn’t perspective a fascinating thing? As we all move through our daily lives, walking out the front door, navigating the same streets to the same locations, things can get a little visually monotonous. The entire world can seem kind of hum drum. Then, one day you’re struck with the urge to turn left two blocks earlier, or you turn up for a train that runs fifteen minutes later, and suddenly the exact same path you’ve wandered countless times before seems like an entirely new journey. Sure, the beginning is the same, and the destination hasn’t changed, but the slight shift in your routine, in your perspective, has made all the difference. You’d be surprised how alien and awe-inspiring our plain, old planet Earth is if you simply learn to look at it from a new perspective. Take, for instance, these satellite photos, that just might change your perspective for good.
1. The Summit of Mt. Fuji Presents a Far More Ominous Image Than the Benevolent Mountain in Most Pictures of Tokyo
2. Okay, You Can Make Out the Individual Floors On the Costa Concordia; How Big Do Cruise Ships Need to Be Exactly?
3. Japan’s Skytree in Tokyo Is Formidable Even Viewed From the Top-Down … And You Have to Feel Bad For the Poor Folks Living in that Shadow
4. Chile’s Chuquicamata Copper Mine Looks a Little Less “Earth-Ravage-Y” From Such a Great Height
5. Taken 423 Miles Above Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Home of the World’s Largest Airplane Graveyard
6. New York’s Stuyvesant Town Has a Kind of Organized Beauty To It that Belies the Real World Hazards Taking Place On the Ground
7. China’s Forbidden City Maintains It’s Mystery and Allure Even When the Whole Thing Is Laid Bare
8. Seeing England’s Prestigious Mine Sculpture From Space is the Only Way to Take in the Vast Scale if This Enormous Installation
9. Even an Average Spaghetti Bowl — Like This One in LA — Can Turn Into a Jackson Pollock When Viewed At the Right Angle
10. The World Famous Has Marina Circuit Is Home to Some of Ferrari’s Most Interesting Contraptions
11. It’s Impossible to Know Exactly How Much Egypt Relies on the Bountiful Nile River Until You See The Concentration of the Country’s Population
12. The Taiwan Strait’s Floating Fish Farms Are Nomadic Structures That Can Raise Fish in Their Natural Environment
13. The Three Gorges Dam on China’s Yangtze River Is the World’s Largest Power Station
14. No, This Isn’t a Poorly Painted Picket Fence, It’s a Treatment Plant in Granada Hills, California
15. This Photo Shows The Assembled Swarms of Worshippers Who Make the Pilgrimage to Vatican City Each Year For Easter
16. From Above, Reykjavík Looks Exactly Like the Shelves at an IKEA
17. Germany’s Steppe Vineyards Produce Some of the World’s Most Unique and Delicious Wines
18. The Heart-Shaped South Aral Sea in Central Asia Is Surrounded to the South
19. To Get an Idea Of Exactly How Opulent Louis XIV Was, You Have to See the Palace at Versailles In One Sweeping View
20. From This High Vantage Point, the Days-Long Bacchanalia That Is Burning Man Almost Looks Peaceful … It Isn’t
21. Behold the Organized Splendor that Is Suburban Sprawl!
22. Those Aren’t Islands, That’s a Mat of Plankton South of Fiji
Though it’s literally one of the smallest organisms on Earth, plankton like this can chain together in groups so big they can be viewed from space.